Sunday, July 29, 2012

Susie Homemaker

So much for posting regularly . . . hopefully it will happen more often in the future.

We're about to start a new chapter in our family history this week; Cam will start staying home with me again. For a month or so, it will be 5 days a week until MDO starts back, then only 3. For me, this means I'm going to be a true stay-at-home mom and to some degree a home-schooling mom. Cam will definitely start public school once he can enter kindergarten because I whole-heartedly believe in public school, especially since those in our area are exceptional. In addition to knowing that I'm simply not qualified to teach my child everything he needs to know and recognizing that I couldn't be truly objective in evaluating his performance, I think public school provides important socialization for children. It is important that children learn to interact appropriately with other children and with adults, that they be able to read and respond well to as many social situations as possible, and that they truly grasp their relationship to the rest of the world. All of these things are provided for in a public education. I do not fault anyone for homeschooling; it just doesn't seem right for our family in our community. That said, we can't really afford the type of daycare/pre-school experience I would like my child to have, so our compromise is sending Cameron to a MDO program two days a week, for the public school experience of an externally determined schedule and playgroup and the socialization that I value. I will also be keeping him home the rest of the week, and I feel it's important to balance free play and educationally driven play/lessons. I've done lots of research on home schooling toddlers and pre-k curriculum for at-home and institutional programs, and I've found something I feel meets our needs. I'm sure some people would think it doesn't do enough to focus on education and others will think I don't allow enough play time. There is scheduled tv time, and I know some people won't appreciate that. All I can say is that I'm trying to find a balance that will both prepare Cam to be intellectually stimulated and advanced for his age and socially adept. I also hope that this program will incorporate technology and other cultural trends that define our society and age in order to prepare him for his future. Lastly, I hope to create an educational program that teaches Cam understanding, empathy, and humanism, because those are values we embrace as a family.

Our daily schedule for summer will look something like this (though every day I will strive to be flexible):
     6:30-6:45am - Cam wakes up
     6:45-7:00am - everyone eats breakfast
     7:00am - M leaves for work
     7:00-7:30am - we get ready for the day
     7:30-8:30am - Cam plays outside in the yard (I play with him but also go over the plans for the day.)
     8:30-9:00am - Cam self-play time or watch tv (Jake & the Neverland Pirates?) & I prepare for errands if needed
     9:00-11:00am - out of the house time (errands, library, play dates, playground, pool, field trips, etc.)
     11:00-11:30am - lunch
     11:30-12:30pm - Sesame Street (This is a post-lunch/pre-nap chill period. We turn out the lights.)
     12:30-2:30pm - nap for Cam (I will nap, answer email, clean, etc. during this time.)
     2:30-3:00pm - Super Why & snack (This allows Cam to wake up slowly and get focused on his alphabet.)
     3:00-5:00pm - school time (organized currently around alphabet)
     5:00-5:15pm - snack time for Cam
     5:15-6:00pm - self-play time for Cam while I prepare dinner/straighten up
     6:00pm - M comes home
     6:00-6:30pm - make dinner while Cam plays with M
     6:30-7:00pm - eat dinner & watch Wheel of Fortune
     7:00-7:30pm - family play time together, walks, etc.
     7:30-7:45pm - Cam bath
     7:45-8:00pm - bedtime routine (brush teeth, change to pjs, story, prayers, songs, asleep)
     8:00-8:30pm - refocus time for me
     8:30-9:00pm - end of day cleaning routine
     9:00-10:30pm - tv, leftover business, hubby time
     10:30pm - M&me bedtime

This week we'll be transitioning into this schedule and working on potty training! It's very exciting for us! Next week we'll actually start lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment